- The official Android 12 release date is currently unknown. However, Google does have a roundabout schedule.
- The schedule suggests we could see Android 12 launch during or after August this year.
- There will be at least three developer previews and four betas before then.
We are now into the early days of Android 12. However, don’t get too excited: we are still months away from the operating system being stable enough for consumers to adopt.
So far, we’ve seen two developer previews with one minor update in between. We can expect at least one more developer preview of Android 12. After that, we can expect at least four beta releases. The Android 12 release date should be easy enough to ascertain around the launch of that fourth beta.
For the record, last year for the Android 11 launch, Google had the first beta out in June and the final launch in early September. It is highly likely we’ll see a very similar schedule this year.
In the meantime, check out what we know so far in the next section.
Android 12 release date: The timeline so far
Google plans to launch monthly updates for Android 12. According to the most recent official information, we can expect developer previews each month from now until April 2021. Starting in May, we’ll see beta launches. Beta versions of the software will be good enough for consumer use (although still not something you’d want to use as a daily driver).
After four beta launches, the Android 12 release date will be easy to narrow down. Depending on how development goes, it could be in the middle or end of August. It could also be early September. However, the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has wreaked havoc on pretty much every industry, so it’s important to temper your expectations.
So far, this is what has officially launched:
- February 18, 2021: Android 12 Developer Preview 1
- March 3, 2021: Android 12 Developer Preview 1.1
- March 17, 2021: Android 12 Developer Preview 2
We will update this article with more official releases as we go! In the meantime, what do you most hope to see from Android 12? Let us know in the comments.